Corona virus outbreak

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
SarathW

Re: Corona virus outbreak

Post by SarathW »

DNS wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:36 pm China revises its death toll to 50% higher in Wuhan.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/ ... 41868.html

I wonder what the real count is overall for China. :spy:
It appears the case count gets messy when there are too many cases.
I saw the new that in US they bound seven dead bodies dum in an old age home temporary morgue.
I wonder whether all top nations get their counts correct.
It depends on the sophistication of the reporting mechanism.
After some time we have to look at the trend not the numbers I think.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Watch the attached video.
I like to know what you think about it.
For me, it is like a propaganda video.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

I did not know it is that large in New York. I knew the numbers, but did not imagine the adaptations they had to go through.
No, I think she answered truthfully and completely to their curiosities.
She gave details, showed compassion and was earnest about the staff's approach.
Miorita

Re: Planet of the humans

Post by Miorita »

I got news for all. It hit me like a thunder.
Bats don't see viruses, therefore, viruses don't exist.
Bats also don't see anything else and have an incredible eco-location system. They can hear perfectly.
We don't have their compensated purity as adaptation to a dark world.
If we changed into bats in our living rooms, it would be a spiritual practice.

It's in the movies and no one pays attention to it. I'm a die hard fan of Star Wars. I had to wait 1 hour in line for tickets.
It was after a major earthquake 7.4, so you have to understand the joy of living life how good it felt.
It does not matter one stays upside down when they're kids, when one is alive, they can fit into any crevice and climb any tree.
That's how we should think: rid ourselves of hard constructed patterns of thinking and free our minds.
At all costs, the basis of all humans and in all religions is joy.
You have a point: it is planet and humans who use it wrongly.
Miorita

Re: Planet of the humans

Post by Miorita »

It is also this that happens:
Bats don't waste their time and therefore any energy on seeing. Everything goes straight into detecting sound/s.
In a way it bypasses the belly or let's say that it doesn't descend to belly level, everything being kept at the ear/hearing level.
We so much enjoy and praise the sense of seeing and sight that we live in a visual world. To see is to believe.
"See" here can also mean the sea. It can be anything in the dark of a cave.
If one hears the waves outside the cave, then it's the sea. If one doesn't hear the waves, then it's the vision. That's how you would translate to a bat.
There was this excellent person, Helen Keller.
Museums and art stores are also sources of pleasure and inspiration. Doubtless it will seem strange to many that the hand unaided by sight can feel action, sentiment, beauty in the cold marble; and yet it is true that I derive genuine pleasure from touching great works of art. As my finger tips trace line and curve, they discover the thought and emotion which the artist has portrayed.
Of all the senses, sight must be the most delightful.
Seeing is a privilege. I think this is the lesson that mother sentient beings bats are trying to convey us.
Along the evolutionary path, we stopped appreciating and being thankful for the gifts we have received.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Actually, bats aren't blind. That's an old myth. They use the echo location when they are in the caves where it is very dark. They have eyes.

https://www.livescience.com/55986-are-b ... blind.html
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Regarding the current controversies over whether we should open the economy yet or wait, Fareed Zakaria today said that it is the media that is pushing the sides into polarization. The liberals have warned about the need for caution and taking it slow before thinking about re-opening the economy. The conservatives have pushed for quicker re-openings. Both sides believe they are advocating for what they believe is best for America.

Bill Maher and Dr. David Katz are liberal Democrats, but breaking the mold and calling for a 'middle way' position. See:

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you David.
For a change, I listened to someone who makes sense and gives a total solution .Dr. David Katz.
Interestingly he is talking about the middle path.
What we need is to do is to increase the hospital care facility and slowly lift the restrictions.
But we are here is just the sensational news because truth does not increase the ratings.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:25 am But we are here is just the sensational news because truth does not increase the ratings.
Yes, I agree; the media is pushing people to the polar opposites, stirring up the emotions and rhetoric, all in the name of higher ratings.
For a change, I listened to someone who makes sense and gives a total solution .Dr. David Katz.
Interestingly he is talking about the middle path.
:thumb: Middle way is best.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

DNS wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:43 pm Regarding the current controversies over whether we should open the economy yet or wait, Fareed Zakaria today said that it is the media that is pushing the sides into polarization. The liberals have warned about the need for caution and taking it slow before thinking about re-opening the economy. The conservatives have pushed for quicker re-openings. Both sides believe they are advocating for what they believe is best for America.

Bill Maher and Dr. David Katz are liberal Democrats, but breaking the mold and calling for a 'middle way' position. See:

I enjoyed watching the video :thumb: . Bil Maher is one of the few liberals who still make sense.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, it's a good interview.

Of course, this is the sort of thing most countries are doing - figuring out how to contain the spread while reopening the economies. And without the unbelievable conflict between different levels of government that is playing out in the USA.

We've had less than 5 weeks of lockdown, and today have loosened it to allow most industries to start to go back to work (notable exception is dining in, of course).
Restrictions on almost any social mixing remain. This makes sense, since this is not relevant to allowing people to get back to work.

Of course, being relatively isolated, having our infections starting several weeks later, only 5 M people, and only one level of government, and a leader who has built confidence with her handling of two recent crises, it much simpler for us. However, Australia, which does have a Federal system, though only 25M people, is following a similar path. In both cases the leaders have listened to experts, focused on getting the job done, and acted like leaders. Number of deaths: NZ 20, Australia 83. I'm so relieved that we and our ANZAC friends (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day) avoided the situation they had in NYC (10 M people, 12,000 deaths, hospital system completely swamped).

You can see from this graph the difference in response. Look at Taiwan, Australia, Hong Kong, South Korea (you can add NZ, which has similar stats to Australia, and look at US, Australia, Canada, China states/provinces by selecting those countries):
https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

I worry for my US friends, that the problems will drag on for months, due to the lack or coordination (so far) and infighting between the different levels of government.

Luckily, judging from the Press Conference that has just finished, today Trump seems to have come to his senses somewhat and there does seem to be a much more coordinated plan. :thumb:

:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The problem with Australia and New Zealand is their lower herd immunity rate.
My understanding is they have a very good health care system so hopefully, they will be able to maintain the lower death rate when the restrictions lifted.
Australia and New Zeland also have a lower population rate compare to the landmass. That also helps to contain the virus. They also a well-protected social security system. In my opinion that Australia and New Zealand are the best places to live in this stage except New Zeland has earthquakes and Austalia has bush fires!!
There is no place on this earth we can get away from our bad Kamma :sage:
SethRich

Post by SethRich »

Greetings,

An interesting collection of outcomes from recent studies...

Sequential Chloroquine (CQ) / Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) Research Papers and Reports - January to April 20, 2020

Executive Summary Interpretation of the Data In This Report:

The HCQ-AZ combination, when started immediately after diagnosis, appears to be a safe and efficient treatment for COVID-19, with a mortality rate of 0.5%, in elderly patients. It avoids worsening and clears virus persistence and contagious infectivity in most cases.

:candle:
"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:13 pm The problem with Australia and New Zealand is their lower herd immunity rate.
The "herd immunity" idea didn't play out well in the UK (who quickly reversed their policy) or NYC, where it was out of control before their.
SarathW wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:13 pm My understanding is they have a very good health care system so hopefully, they will be able to maintain the lower death rate when the restrictions lifted.
Actually, what we did was keep the rate so low that the hospital system was not overloaded. I think there are currently 10 people still in hospital, none in ICU, 19 deaths. Contrast that with NYC, which is 2x the population and had over 40,000 hospital admissions and over 10,000 deaths: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Australia and NZ were lucky that we quickly shut down travel from China, and locked down very early in our growth phase, which came later, so we had time to see what was happening. New York (and surrounding states) was not so lucky. The US didn't shut down travel from Europe fast enough, and by the time they went into lockdown it was out of control.

And they are still in an economically-debilitating lockdown. It's not a choice between economy vs. deaths. It's discouraging, looking at the stats in these graphs:
https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/
that the US and Europe have both lockdowns, and and overloaded health systems (currently only in parts of the US, to be fair). And, if you look at the graphs, their lockdowns have not been so effective.

The key to lifting restrictions, according to our modelling experts (who, thankfully, our government listened to from very early on), is good testing and tracking (so people who may have been affected are rapidly put into quarantine). As I understand it, most of Australia had a less-strict lockdown than New Zealand (I believe Tasmania was a notable exception), because their tracking and testing was better at the start than ours. Go Australia! :thumb: Apparently Iceland heeded the WHO warnings back in January and spent a lot of money to build a really good testing system. As a result, they have had a much milder lockdown. Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, also took effective action.

What's going to happen in South Asia, Africa, and South America? I hate to think...

:heart:
Mike
Miorita

Re: Karmapa accused of sexual misconduct Courts say she can sue

Post by Miorita »

US has reached 600K deaths.

For them, a Kagyu prayer:

It has the benefits of easing pains, etc.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

One teacher in California describes the damage done to children during this pandemic of fear:

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news ... x-gutentag