Sujato on Conceit

Using the Buddha’s teachings to preserve and enhance our well-being, as we engage with the world
Nicholas

Sujato on Conceit

Post by Nicholas »

Seems to apply this mainly to other people, people I doubt he knows personally. Looks like a casualty of too much Engaged work. Would make a better SJW than Bhikkhu.

Gets judgmental at 2:50.

Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
SethRich

Re: Sujato on Conceit

Post by SethRich »

Greetings,

The Dharma is timeless.

I do wonder whether this worldly/engaged/SJW/activist Dharma will stand the test of time... Will such words, slander and confusion be met with shame and remorse in time?

Time will tell.

On a side note, if the bhikkhu in question would like to go beyond poor guess-work and actually ask non-progressives why they frown upon progressive policies, they are welcome to step outside their echo-chamber and ask. Taking it beyond persons, to policy, will help avoid it being about conceit, which I assume was the initial purpose of the rumination.

:candle:
"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Has Sutako attained Nirvana or God-realization? If not, I have no reason to hear him speak.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Did we have another topic of the same video?
I can recall I made a comment on the video and it has been deleted.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Nicholas wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 pm Gets judgmental at 2:50.
Oh yes! and already gets non-inclusive with his "we as progressives..." at 2:03 :rofl:
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

The Bhante has his heart in the right place, I think. Whether his conclusions are right or not is debatable. He is a human being and not beyond making mistakes. Like all of us.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Dan74 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:05 pm The Bhante has his heart in the right place
According to you. Lecturing people in such a judgmental way is telling. Doing this with a nice tone in the voice is making things heavier.