world chess championship 2021

Taking time out to connect with others
DNS
Site Admin

world chess championship 2021

Post by DNS »

It was supposed to be in 2020, but got delayed due to the pandemic. The candidates tournament started in 2020 and was also postponed until this year. It just completed a few days ago, to determine who would play against current world champion Magnus Carlsen (Norway).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidate ... E2%80%9321

The winner was Ian Nepomniachtchi (Russia) nickname: "Nepo"
Nepomniachtchi is Jewish.[39][40] He graduated from the Russian State Social University.[41] He was introduced to the video game DotA in 2006. He was a member of the team that won the ASUS Cup [ru] Winter 2011 Dota tournament and he also served as a commentator at the ESL One Hamburg 2018 Dota 2 tournament, using the nickname FrostNova.[42] He also plays Hearthstone and introduced fellow Russian chess grandmaster Peter Svidler to the game; the two of them later provided feedback about the game to the Hearthstone developers.[43]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Nepomniachtchi

The championship match will be later this year in Dubai in November-December.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Che ... nship_2021
Miorita

Re: world chess championship 2021

Post by Miorita »

I wear or I should be wearing my glasses.

It's interesting to see how 3, 4, 5, 6 will qualify.
  • 3. Anish Giri (NED) 7.5 1.5 4 50.5
  • 4. Fabiano Caruana (USA) 7.5 0.5 3 50.5
  • 5. Ding Liren (CHN) 7 1.5 4 48.75
  • 6. Alexander Grischuk (RUS) 7 0.5 2 50.5
So they played:
Round 14 – 27 April 2021
Fabiano Caruana (7) Alexander Grischuk (6½) ½–½
Anish Giri (7½) Kirill Alekseenko (4½) 0–1
Ding Liren (6) Ian Nepomniachtchi (8½) 1–0
Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (7) Wang Hao (5) 1–0

I think Nepomniaschtchii has the chances to win.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Miorita wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:01 pm I think Nepomniaschtchii has the chances to win.
I think so too. I like Carlsen, but think Nepo has a good shot at winning the match.

So you like chess too? :thumb:
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

too
I am not good player. I played with people that I judged in my mind that are a safe win.
Until one boy came around, did the Sicilian opening on my board, on my blanket on the green grass and after he won, I was like 'this can't be happening'. Lol , Learning in the wilderness

Then I told my dad and he even let me win once. :rofl: Civilized learning, at home

He, my dad, is still the one that I go to bog with questions on how to answer this and that. Learning from tv shows is still happening for sports persons mostly retired now, just that they don't let us know. :namaste:

Everyone has their chance and drive and desire to connect with others sometimes even if it's only thorough a board game. Radjbov was readmitted due to Covid fears.

The first question my dad asked was: Where do they play?
I said: Dubai.
He replied: They have money.

Money can be a motivator. I mean any prize can be a motivator.
At the level they play, I don't think they need a motivation. I think it will be a clean sport.

"Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected"
No more! It may be a time for intelligent connections. :smile:

P.S. To be honest, I think He is Risen! It may have happened this Sunday because I stopped fasting and then because my sister called as usual, late, when all want to nap in their privacy. So it must be so, the Orthodox Easter.
Last edited by Miorita on Mon May 03, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

So:
The winner of the Candidates earns the right to a match for the World Championship against the incumbent World Champion.
(wiki)
Then,
The 30-year-old Muscovite said later that he lacked motivation for the game, a strange comment when a win would have raised his Fide world rating close to 2800, the super-elite level
and
Fide, the global chess body, has since issued a statement confirming that, due to the Wada sanctions against Russia, Nepomniachtchi will not be allowed to play under the Russian flag in Dubai, and the Russian national anthem will not be played. The challenger will have to compete as a neutral player, using the Fide flag.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... -run-chess
The world No. 4 chess player, Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia finished in clear first place in the 2021 FIDE Candidates Tournament, the ‘semifinal’ of the official World Chess Championship cycle. With a score of 8.5/14, he won the event ahead of seven other candidates and earned the right to challenge the current World Chess Champion, Magnus Carlsen of Norway in a 12-game title match, to take place this November 2021 in Dubai.
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/2021-05 ... ampionship

Magnus Carlsen

credit: Getty images

Cortana has her ways sometimes. Don't mind her! He's not a blob, has an IQ of 190.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

So, I pulled on the thread sticking out to me and arrived at Ignatenko, Albert.

I did something I shouldn't have done. I grasped at the name though Buddhism teaches not to grasp. I couldn't help myself. :shrug:

And according to https://www.behindthename.com/name/ignatius, "Ignatius" name comes
From the Roman family name Egnatius, meaning unknown, of Etruscan origin. The spelling was later altered to resemble Latin ignis "fire". This was the name of several saints, including the third bishop of Antioch who was thrown to wild beasts by Emperor Trajan, and by Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), founder of the Jesuits, whose real birth name was in fact Íñigo.
(Sorry Ignatius of Loyola! Your school is great. :thumb: )

And then (what a coincidence!) Nepomniachtchi spells "Ne" = "un"/"non" & "pomnia" = "to remind", "mention". His name then is "unmentioned".

Therefore, one is "unknown" and the other is "unmentioned".
It's funny. It's very funny. He still does not play with the Russia flag next to him. :smile:

Miorița

The Romans used indeed wild beasts in the arena against early Christians. And Trajan which defeated the Dacian King Decebalus has a sculpted column in Rome picturing Dacians fighting Romans.

My intuition tells me that the 2 of them are connected or about to get connected.
We shall see.