Freedom’s Progress

A discussion on all aspects of Engaged Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Freedom’s Progress

Post by Ceisiwr »

“Victory in the war on woke: Judges landmark ruling means freedom of speech includes the right to offend

Presiding over a case in the Court of Appeal, Lord Justice Bean and Mr Justice Warby said: ‘Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having.

They added that ‘free speech encompasses the right to offend, and indeed to abuse another’. The judgment from two senior members of the judiciary will set a precedent for future cases involving freedom of speech.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... uling.html
Ceisiwr

Re: Freedom’s Progress

Post by Ceisiwr »

“But Miss Hayden said: ‘This is... a kick in the teeth to the entire LGBT community.”

I’m so sick of ghouls like this speaking on behalf of me :roll:
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Great to hear Buddhists sticking up for wrong speech, I guess the Buddha's directions are not that important??
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:34 am “Victory in the war on woke: Judges landmark ruling means freedom of speech includes the right to offend

Presiding over a case in the Court of Appeal, Lord Justice Bean and Mr Justice Warby said: ‘Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having.

They added that ‘free speech encompasses the right to offend, and indeed to abuse another’. The judgment from two senior members of the judiciary will set a precedent for future cases involving freedom of speech.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... uling.html
I don't know if harassing someone online is a right we should be fighting to protect. We are not talking about just some casual misgendering here, but extended online abuse.

Is this the kind of free speech that is worth protecting? We are not talking about opinions that some get triggered by, but plain ol' abuse and provocation.

I am not entirely sure if the law should get involved or whether the platforms (like here, for example) should take responsibility for enforcing some civility, but I am not particularly sympathetic to Mrs Scottow, TBH.
SethRich

Post by SethRich »

Greetings,

:candle:
"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dan74 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:11 am
We are not talking about just some casual misgendering here, but extended online abuse.
That is what the block function is for.