Non-Bhikshus with profile pictures as Bhikshus

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Dharmasherab

Non-Bhikshus with profile pictures as Bhikshus

Post by Dharmasherab »

I have come across as account where someone who is a lay person (non-Bhikshu, non-Samanera) has a profile picture of when he was a Bhikkhu in a Theravada monastery. I used to think all this time he is still a monastic and I assume most people when they see the profile picture assume that he is still a Bhikshu.

I think this leads to unnecessary confusion given that most of us are not going to look into whether he is still a Bhikkhu or not. The posts made by him would appear to be perceived by the forum community as posts coming from a Bhikkhu ( when he is a lay person).

I feel this person should remove this profile picture and replace it with any other profile picture that is appropriate as long as it does nt show him as a monk or a monk in the profile photo in such a way that would cause confusion to the community.

If the site admin is willing to take action I can give the name of this individual through personal message.

Overall as a generic principle, those who are not ordained should not put profile pictures which give the impression that they are still ordained in my opinion. This is to avoid unnecessary confusion.

Also on a side note - impersonating a Bhikkhu is a big offense, and will bar one from becoming ordained as a Bhikkhu in this life.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
lyndon taylor

Re: Non-Bhikshus with profile pictures as Bhikshus

Post by lyndon taylor »

18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I think it's okay. To use another example, say a person was a police officer and later left that career or retired; there would be nothing wrong with him/her posting a picture of themselves in uniform. Or the same for military, nurse, etc.

A person who was a physician for many years and then retires, doesn't lose his/her title of "Dr." and can still be called Dr. _______.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

As my Master said in the Signature I use now; finding flaws in others is easy, but perhaps better to begin your monastic life with focus on your own character.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

If that is alright with the standards of this forum then so be it (even though I disagree).
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah