Fresh water

Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants
DNS
Site Admin

Fresh water

Post by DNS »

Interesting video today from Nuseir about how they are able to convert salty ocean water to fresh water in the UAE and other places.

Nicholas

Re: Fresh water

Post by Nicholas »

Really good news, but few nations or USA coastal states can afford the desalination plants. But with aquifers being tapped out and the Southwest remaining mostly desert-like, perhaps desalination costs will come down.

We First Worlders in dry areas really ought to stop building pools & golf courses! :thumb:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself. Self-conquest is far better than the conquest of others. Dhammapada
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm We First Worlders in dry areas really ought to stop building pools & golf courses! :thumb:
I agree. It's amazing how many homes have pools in the Southwest states. Yes, it gets very hot, but how many really use them? And they are very expensive! The water bill, the monthly maintenance fee to a pool contractor, the electric bill for the pumps, and the repairs. One year I spent so much money on the pool at my house and I think I used it only about 3 times that summer. It's much more economical (and for the environment) to just use a public pool when you feel like swimming.

If you've ever flown in a low flying plane or helicopter over a city like Vegas or Phoenix, you can see thousands of pools in backyards -- and no one in them!

For golf courses, that could easily be done with artificial turf. The brands they have now are very realistic looking. I have some at my properties and you can only tell it's artificial when you get very close.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DNS wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
For golf courses, that could easily be done with artificial turf. The brands they have now are very realistic looking. I have some at my properties and you can only tell it's artificial when you get very close.
Considering the heat in Southwest and if the fake grass gets walked on - how long will it last and how much to replace?
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself. Self-conquest is far better than the conquest of others. Dhammapada
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Israel is pioneer in the region when it comes to sea water desalination and waste water treatment. They use reverse osmosis and the gas from the Mediterranean. They already secured a loan to build the largest desalination plant in the world next year to be the sixth in the country.

The ability to use technology to produce water has turned water more to a commodity than a right. Even the ways we used to think about natural resources is changing. Where i live, water is still heavily subsidized, and our farmers are exporting agricultural products at less than its real cost because they take water subsidy for granted.

In general, the middle east is mostly arid or semi arid. Many conflicts over water are in the horizon, including between Egypt and Ethiopia, and between Turkey and Syria & Iraq. In the countries located at the Jordan River Basin, water has been another cause of tension. When Jordan signed the peace treaty with Israel, Syria built more than 40 dams to prevent the waters from the Yarmouk river to flow downstream as a punishment.

With the influx of Syrian refugees, the water situation is dire and the cost of desalination is not equally affordable to all countries. What makes maters worse is when the sea is far from population centers which would cost extra to pump water over longer distances.

Waste water treatment is a good and relatively cheap solution for agriculture. With these technologies, humans are well prepared to combat the effects of climate change where it is expected to cause prolonged droughts. The doom and gloom is not expected to cease any time soon though.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
Considering the heat in Southwest and if the fake grass gets walked on - how long will it last and how much to replace?
There are companies that provide a 10 year warranty, but it should last much longer than that. If I recall correctly, I think it costs around $1 to $3 per square foot, depending on quality of artificial grass.

I had a mini golf course with artificial grass installed at one of my properties about 15 years ago for about $25,000. It's still in great shape.
sc15.jpg
sc15.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 81 times
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Bundokji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:46 pm In general, the middle east is mostly arid or semi arid. Many conflicts over water are in the horizon, including between Egypt and Ethiopia, and between Turkey and Syria & Iraq.
There is currently a conflict in Africa over water with the Grand Renaissance Dam in Ethiopia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53494604